(Email me for a copy)
- Governing beyond the project: Refocusing innovation governance in science and technology funding. Under review at Social Studies of Science with Stefan Schäfer and Michael Bernstein.
- Capabilities to support responsible research & innovation in European biotechnology, with Michael Bernstein, Cian O’Donovan and Filippo Cuttica. Preprint available here.
- Infrastructure for Responsible Research and Innovation: An Appraisal of the Euronanomed Iii Portfolio with Abigail King; 2022. Preprint available here.
- An appraisal of Responsible Research and Innovation in ERA CoBioTech’s Funding Portfolio with Rhodri Leng and Thoko Kamwendo; 2021. Preprint available here.
- Are people who care the key to responsible innovation? Under review at Engaging STS with Ros Attenborough and Michael Bernstein.
- Distributed Responsible Research and Innovation: Developing a framework for RRI in a multinational funding programme. In prep with Thoko Kamwendo, Deborah Scott and Jane Calvert.
Governance and funding of biology and biotechnology
- The European Commission’s Green Deal is an opportunity to rethink harmful practices of research and innovation policy. In Ambio with Michael Bernstein, Thomas Franssen and Mandy de Wilde; 2022.
- Taking knowledge production seriously in responsible research and innovation. In Journal of Responsible Innovation with Thoko Kamwendo, Anja Berndt and Jamie Parkin.
- Knowing when to talk? Plant genome editing as a site for pre-engagement institutional reflexivity. Public Understanding of Science with Sarah Hartley, Patrick Middleton and Tracey Jewitt; 2021.
- Results and recommendations of the virtual 2nd Biotech Hub Meeting convened by the ERA-NET Cofund on Biotechnology with Ros Attenborough, Thoko Kamwendo, and Karen DePrie for the Saxon State Ministry of Science, Culture and Tourism (SMWK); 2020.
- Bioengineering horizon scan 2020. Elife, 9, e54489 with Luke Kemp, William Sutherland and many others; 2020.
- An Agenda for Responsible Research and Innovation in ERA CoBioTech. Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council and ERA CoFund on Biotechnology. With Deborah Scott, Thoko Kamwendo and Jane Calvert; 2019.
- Who’s talking about non-human Genome Editing? Mapping public discussion in the U.K. London: Sciencewise. with Gabby Samuel; 2018.
- A mobilising concept? Unpacking academic representations of responsible research and innovation. Science and Engineering Ethics.23(1) 81-103 with Barbara Ribeiro and Kate Millar; 2017.
Mammalian Synthetic biology
- Responsible research and innovation meets multispecies studies: Why RRI needs to be a more-than-human exercise. Journal of Responsible Innovation with Erika Szymanski and Jane Calvert.
- Crossing Kingdoms: How Can Art Open Up New Ways of Thinking About Science? Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology (8):715. with Erika Szymanski, Tarsh Bates, Elise Cachat, Jane Calvert, Oron Catts, Lenny Nelson, Susan Rosser and Ionat Zurr; 2020.
- Synthesing a Human Genome. What could go right? Report of a Wellcome Trust Workshop. with Tom Ellis, Susan Rosser, Patrick Cai and Paul Freemont; 2018.
Gene Drive, Emerging Biotechnologies & Global Health
- Exploring the value of a gene drive registry. Forthcoming at Nature Biotechnology with Riley Taitingfong and many other people.
- Ugandan stakeholder hopes and concerns about gene drive mosquitoes for malaria control: new directions for gene drive risk governance. Malaria Journal with Sarah Hartley, Adam Kokotovich, Chris Opesen, Tibebu Habtewold, Katie Ledingham, Ben Raymond and Charles Rwabukwali; 2021.
- Synthetic Biology Biosensors for Global Health Challenges: Workshop report of the flowers consortium. London: King’s College London. With Claire Marris, Dominic Berry, Lalitha Sundaram and Nikolas Rose; 2017.
- Constructing ‘the ethical’ in the development of biofuels. University of Nottingham; 2016
- Integrating social and ethical dimensions into sustainability assessment of lignocellulosic biofuels. Biomass and Bioenergy (RCUK Bioenergy Manchester special issue) with Sujatha Raman, Richard Helliwell, Alison Mohr, Barbara Ribeiro, Orla Shortall, and Kate Millar; 2015.
- Biofuels under the spotlight: The state of assessment and potential for integration. Science and Public Policy, 41(3), pp.283–293. with Philip Boucher and Kate Millar; 2014.